Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Giant Chess Board at Tarrant County College


This life sized chess board is located at the North East campus of Tarrant County College. For those of you unfamiliar with the campus, its on the corner of Boulevard 26 and Harwood in Hurst. The chess board it self is located behind the library by the large clock tower. The pieces can be checked out from the student center or you could chance them already being out on a sunny weekday. The chess club at TCC holds meetings here as well as a few unrelated clubs. This board is big enough to get a group of friends together and act out a game of chess or checkers. In the picture above I am sitting in the king spot to give you a good idea of how big it is. Behind me is where the pieces are kept under pad lock.


Aside from being a cool place to meet with your college buddies, it also makes a great place for a picnic, or get away with the kids. Its easily accessible and within the city. I have never seen this place crowded; If some one was there when I arrived, they were usually gone with in a few minutes. Funny thing that led me to posting about this particular place, I Googled it for pictures and found my face on page two from a time I was there 2 years ago. It made me laugh and revisit, and it is still another wonderful getaway and a must see for residents of Fort Worth.
- Roy Stanley

No comments:

Post a Comment